The CO-OP Country Store is part of the CO-Op Gas & Supply Co., Inc., one of the oldest cooperatives in the greater Sandpoint /Ponderay area.
It began in 1934 with more than 60 people in Bonner County each purchasing a $10.00 share of stock to provide a financial base for the new company, Grange Gas & Supply. Initially the company only sold product to the grange members, but that changed within the first year. Now anyone can purchase from the CO-OP and there is still an opportunity to become a member free of charge.
Originally located at 5th and Church in Sandpoint, Idaho, the store built a feed mill, warehouse, service station, and acquired the Sandpoint Creamery in 1943. A grain elevator was added the same year as well as the powder magazine. In 1947 a petroleum plant was erected west of the grain elevator.
The cooperative grew under the careful management of Jack Murry. Jack expanded the company to include hardware and farm supplies. The Husky service station on Pine and 5th was purchased and converted into a 24 hour card-trol fueling facility. This facility no longer exists as it was removed to make way for a parking lot at 5th and Pine.
The CO-OP Country Store moved to its present location, 125 Tibbetts Lane in Ponderay, in 1996. This move allowed for a larger , covered fueling station which could accommodate bigger rigs and equipment as well as an 8 pump fueling station for smaller road vehicles. The CO-OP has further expanded to include much more than hardware, fuel, and feed, and has be come the largest cooperative of its kind in North Idaho.
Please take a look at the different departments. Each one has information of interest to those who live or wish to live the rural lifestyle. Most of the departments have monthly sales which are great so come in and check that out.
Thank you for visiting The CO-OP Country Store on the web!